A. Purpose. The purpose of this Section is to ensure that access to public facilities is open to all members of the public and is properly designed and maintained.
B. Applicability. This Section shall apply to all proposed public schools, fire stations, police stations, public libraries, public parks, and public recreational facilities.
C. Exemptions. This Section shall not apply to the following facilities:
1. Facilities owned and operated by a public school district that are not public schools. Examples include administration buildings, maintenance facilities, and other support facilities.
2. Existing public facilities, including additions, remodels, and reconstruction of such facilities.
3. New public schools constructed on property owned by a public school district prior to June 1, 2007.
4. Educational skill centers located within commercial shopping centers or similar commercial complexes.
D. Access Requirements. Public facilities which are subject to the requirements of this Section shall be accessed by a public roadway or private road. When a private road provides access to the facility, the private road shall meet the following:
1. The private road shall have a minimum traveled surface width of 24 feet from the public facility to the nearest public road.
2. The private road shall meet all applicable standards for private roads set forth in Title 17B including, but not limited to, the requirements set forth in PCC 17B.10.060, 17B.20.005, and 17B.20.040.
3. The easement establishing the private road shall not be gated and the easement shall not prohibit or otherwise limit access to the public facility.